The Pavilion was demolished in the early months of 1936 as shown below. The wall around its garden was removed and the site was cleared. In June of the same year, work started on the new Church of Saint Peter in Chains. The building contractors were Findlay and McGeechan of Glasgow who employed local labour.

The foreman bricklayer, Alexander 'Sanny' Archibald of Saltcoats, was personally responsible for the decorative brickwork around the main door and side door under the tower. The joiners were Thomas Stewart Limited. The Stations of the Cross were carved by Archibald Dawson. The Main Altar was built and installed by James Youden and Son Limited.

The facing brick was Accrington Nori. Roof tiles were Walley's Supero red rustic sanded variety. Seats are made from American white oak. The interior was finished in plaster with cream pigment added. The Main Altar, Our Lady Altar, the Sacred Heart Altar and the altar rails were built from Raw Sienna, Pavonazzo, Travertine, Arno Alti and Swedish Green marble. The baptismal font in the porch was made of granite.

Construction of the external building, shown below shortly after completion, was finished in September 1937. The total building costs were about £10000.