6 July 1957
This photo of Monsignor Power was taken when he opened the 1957
Sale of Work.
John J Power was born in Grange, Mooncoin, County Kilkenny, Ireland
on 26 October 1888. In 1901, he entered the College of the Sacred
Heart in Limerick and in 1905, went to Mount Saint Joseph College,
Rosecrea. In 1907, having been adopted by the Archbishop of Glasgow
for that Archdiocese, be came to Saint Peter's College, Bearsden where
he read philosophy and theology. He received Minor Orders, Sub-Deaconate
and Deaconate in November and December 1912. On 29 June 1913, he was
ordained to the priesthood in Saint Andrew's Cathedral, Glasgow by
the Archbishop of Chersona. He was appointed as a curate in the Church
of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, Saltcoats in December 1914. In November
1916, he showed great courage in attending men who were trapped in
the hold of the Norwegian grain ship Hjortnes which went aground on
Horse Island, Ardrossan. After a brief return to Ireland, he served
in Glasgow before going to Birmingham, England to where he transferred
in 1925. His brothers, Alphonsus and Martin were also priests in Birmingham.
John was the parish priest of the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary
and Saint Therese of Lisieux in the Saltley district of Birmingham
from 1930 to 1968. He died in Dublin in 1969.