FATHER PATRICK SMITH
Smith was born at 158 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan on 29 November 1946. His parents
were John Kelly Smith and his wife, Esther Murray, known as Hessie. Patrick was
baptised in Saint Peters Church on 8 December 1946 by Father Matthew Littleton.
The sponsors were John Joseph Murray and Esther Murray, his grandparents. Patrick
has two sisters, Isobel now Devine and Joan now Foulds.
Patrick's father worked for Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) in Stevenston and
in 1950 was offered a post at its plant in Dumfries. The family moved to Dumfries
where Patrick was educated at Saint Andrew's School. In 1956, Patrick's father
was transferred to ICI in Redcar, Yorkshire, England so the family moved to that
Patrick studied for the priesthood at Mount Mellery, Cappoquin, County Waterford
and All Hallows College, Dublin, both Ireland. He was ordained in his home Church,
Saint Augustine's, Redcar on 31 May 1970. He served in parishes in Middlesbrough,
Malton, Redcar and Guisborough before becoming Parish Priest of Our
Lady's Church, York in 1999.
The photograph on the right
was taken in 2005.